Monday, May 26, 2014

Date Night & Dessert: Juliana's Pizza & Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory - DUMBO, NY - Wednesday 5/14/2014

Her Take: So as I have said before, I love pizza, but also I love ice cream. We had the PERFECT date! We had talked about taking the ferry to DUMBO so I suggested we do it to grab some pizza from Juliana's and get amazing ice cream from Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory! We were to take the 7:00 pm ferry at Kent avenue on the north side so Nicky and I met up at 6:30 and took a nice walk there. We made it just in time for the 6:45 ferry; we saw it docking and we ran to get tickets and literally ran inside. (We did a lot of running for ferries as you'll see) we got lucky! The ferry was very nice, spacious and fun! We went outside and took pictures like tourists and enjoyed the scenery. It was a bit cloudy that day but it was still really nice! The wind felt so good!
We arrived at DUMBO in 10 minutes, super fast. We walked off and straight to Juliana's. I don't know if you guys have heard of Grimaldi's? Well the originally owner Patsy Grimaldi sold his restaurant and name and since that restaurant moved to the corner, Patsy came back and opened up a new pizzeria again! Voila Juliana's! Patsy was standing right in the doorway and he seated us at a little bar overlooking the pizzaioli and the coal burning oven. We already knew what we wanted to we ordered right away: two Stella Artois on tap and a large margherita pizza with half pepperoni! We could see the pizzaiolo (pizza man) making our pizza and I was literally drooling. Our pizza was done quickly! Thank God cause I was starving, and the girl brought it right to us. We dug right it.. DELICIOUS!!! Just how I remembered it from when I was younger. So so so yummy I didn't even take a break I gobbled my whole half of the pie up. I was super satisfied and so happy that I had the deliciousness in my mouth and tummy. Nicky loved it too!! We weren't too full so we had enough room for ice cream. We turned around and saw that the place had FILLED UP! It was packed and a line was forming outside! We felt kind of bad so we asked our waiter for the check and he said no no no take your time! He didn't want us to leave, so we enjoyed our beer.
We finally got up and squirmed through the people and started walking toward the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. Oh my god yes I was so excited because I had been craving their ice cream forever!!!! Luckily it's only down the block :)
We walked in and I already knew what I wanted: CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHUNK two scoops in a waffle cone please!!! Nicky got one scoop of vanilla chocolate chunk in a waffle cone and we tasted it and our tummies smiled because its just THAT AMAZING!!! So creamy and the flavor is just right. They chocolate isn't too overwhelming it's milky chocolate goodness with big chunks of chocolate mixed in; OMG YUM I want some rightttt now!!! We ate as we took a walk through the DUMBO park, it was so pretty and by the water. It started getting a little chilly and misty so we went back into the ice cream shop and Nicky used the bathroom as I sat at a little table. We weren't sure what time the last ferry was so we peeked outside and saw the ferry docking! Once again, we ran for our lives for it!! We almost didn't make it! I ran with my ice cream cone in my hand and my studded loafers on my feet... Not a good combo. If I dropped my cone I would I have picked it up thrown it at Nicky and left him there for making me run!!!! But, it didn't come down to that :)))
We made the ferry just in time and relaxed until we had to get off and walked to a candy store since Nicky wanted something. He only got a pack of the gum that looks like cigarettes because he's a big kid. We walked home holding hands as he "smoked his cigarette" and digested all the yummy food all the way home to my house :)
We had a great night! The ferry was a cute and fun idea, I think everyone should ride it at least once, especially when the weather is nice to stand outside and enjoy the scenery! Pizza was amazing and the ice cream was to die for; definitely, definitely recommend both!! CHECK THEM OUT IF YOU LOVE PIZZA AND ICE CREAM! (but then again who doesn't?)
Links are in my post :)

His Take: Ariana and I love pizza, especially Ariana! We decided to do something a little different rather than the old "hey let's just go get pizza!" One of Ariana's favorite pizza places had reopened, Juliana's (the old Grimaldi's) in Dumbo, Brooklyn. They're pizza used to be great and it's coal oven pizza, which is absolutely delicious! Rather than just head over to Juliana's and give it a try, we took the East River Ferry. It as a decent day weather wise, I mean was supposed to rain but luckily it didn't! The Ferry was beautiful, we had caught it at the perfect time. From our neighborhood to Dumbo it is two stops on the ferry, a quick ride, perfect because we were hungry! We bought our tickets ($4 each person per way), and boarded our ferry. I really loved the ferry, on the way there we stood outside and watched as we passed both the Williamsburg and Brooklyn Bridges. I did the real touristy thing and took pictures and it was cool. I plan on taking the ferry again to it's other stops or even back to Dumbo.

Next stop, Juliana's. Off our enjoyable ferry ride we walked right to Juliana's and were lucky enough to walk right in. By the time we were done with our food, there was line of people waiting outside for their turn! We got to the door and the original owner greeted and seated us (Ariana had remembered him!). We sat at the counter top right next to where they make the pizzas. While normally I prefer tables, this time it was pretty sweet to sit and watch them make pizzas! Ariana and I ordered a large margherita pie, with half pepperoni. A large pie may sound like much, but for us two, it was perfect. We also order two Stella Artois and watched our pizza be made. Shortly after our pizza came and we feasted! This pizza was PERFECT. It really was absolutely delicious.  Mmmmm thinking about it now I could go for a slice or two! We ate the entire pie and almost forgot to take a picture! We finished most of beers and departed for dessert!

On to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory! If Ariana doesn't tell you this I will, she was the happiest I've ever seen when we decided to go here to! She absolutely loves this place, loves it more than she loves me! And I can see why, the ice cream was delicious! I got a vanilla chocolate chunk, one scoop that was more like three and Ariana ordered two scoops of chocolate chocolate chunk, which looked like four! We enjoyed our cones and walked the park on the pier. When we walked back we had to run to our ferry home because we were unsure of what time the last ferry was! We ran back and laughed as we got on the ferry just as it was leaving!

This was one of my favorite dates. The ferry, the food, the ice cream, and my date were all beautiful. I enjoyed everything about this date! The ferry is cool, and beats the more common means of transportation. The pizza was amazing! It really was so good. The ice cream was a nice finish. But most of all, my date was the best part! Enjoy guys!








No comments:

Post a Comment