Thursday, September 18, 2014

Night Out: 230 Fifth Rooftop - Flatiron, NY - Saturday, 8/30/2014

His Take: 230 Fifth, a few years back was rated the most popular place in NYC ages 20-40 for men and women, according to Zagat.  How the mighty have fallen.  So this is the second celebration for Ariana’s birthday, Ariana and I grabbed a bunch of friends, maybe 15-18 people total and decided to go out for her birthday.  I had been to 20 Fifth multiple times, but this time here might be the last time I go.  Yes I was that disappointed in the place and the service.  First and foremost, I called to reserve a table with bottle service because I know it is hard in NYC for a group that large to all get into a place together, whether it be a club or a lounge.  230 Fifth, in my opinion, has the stupidest reservation policy.  I had to make my reservation and based off the number of people I told them were going, I had to purchase a minimum amount in bottle service.  This policy is pretty standard around NYC.  What shocked me was then I was told I needed to select my bottles right then and there over the phone and PAY for them in advance!  No thanks 230 Fifth, I mean what if less people show up or a change of plans? Then I am stuck with the bill? NO. 
 
So we arrive at 230 Fifth, I walk right up to the security at the door and tell them I am with 15 people and want a table upstairs.  No problem, they hook me up with the girl who does bottle service, Ariana, I and our guests walk right in, no reservation required.  We get a nice large table upstairs on the roof, a little disappointed it was all the way in the corner but hey, whatever.  The whole point of going to 230 Fifth is to be on the rooftop where you get a great view of NYC and the Empire State Building.  230 Fifth never fails in this, and again we were right in front of the Empire State Building and that was great.  That was about the only good thing about 230 Fifth.  Well that and our waitress who was a sweet heart.  After we picked our bottles and spent about $1,100 already, more people wanted to come meet us upstairs.  I told the other guests to tell the people at the door we had a table upstairs under my name.  Apparently 230 Fifth would not let them upstairs unless I brought down a signed receipt from a manager stating we had a table and more room at our table.  This is incredibily stupid, but again I obliged and asked the waitress to get it for me.  I went downstairs with my receipt and got our other 2 guests in.  Here is another problem, I tell the security downstairs who took my receipt from, so he knows I had already paid and spent money upstairs, and he made me and the other 2 guests wait on a 20 minute line for the elevator with the general public.  The table reservations upstairs have their own elevator.  So after 230 Fifth took $1,100 from my party, I had to wait downstairs like every one else who had not paid $1 to be there?  What was the point of spending money then? That really put me off to this place.  Lastly, our typical think at 230 Fifth was to enjoy outside, then head inside to the dance floor.  This time inside did not have a dance floor.  I do not know if it was a slow night and no one was dancing or what not, but inside I did not see a single person dancing.
 
Sorry 230 Fifth, but you lost an unhappy customer.  I had been to 230 Fifth a hand full of times, and now I cannot see myself going back.  Go at your own risk!


Her Take: My birthday celebration still continued. After our great dinner, family dinner and drinks, we still had to dance. So I decided on 230 fifth.
I had been here once for Nicky's birthday last year and I had a good time! It's a rooftop bar overlooking the city skyline and the Empire State Building is right there! If you go downstairs, there's a dance floor to, obviously, dance to the good music playing. That's what I expected this time around. I was excited and ready to shake my booty. We sat on the rooftop and the music was playing, but I couldn't wait to get a couple drinks in me and go down and dance.
There were 15 of us so we got 3 bottles. But then they gave Nicky a hard time because his uncle wanted to come up and join us and we only bought enough for 15 people so no. WTF? Nicky was gone for a half hour arguing with the waitress and the security's guard wouldn't let him back up when he only went to get his uncle. A big shpeel for no reason! But it disappointed us with their service. Finally we came up but had to buy another bottle. So stupid and the manager didn't even try to accommodate us or "make the customer happy." I wanted to dance, we went downstairs excited and when we got there we saw that there was no dance floor, it was just a lounge now and the music was louder outside! But there was no room to dance outside. It was disappointing. No dancing, no good music, no good service. 230 fifth changed a lot and not for the better.
We were all disappointed in the way we were treated and how the night turned it. Nevertheless I made the most of it because I wanted to have fun for my birthday. But I saw other didn't have a good time and really didnt want to be there, and one person even told me "this sucks", which annoyed me but you know what I wasn't gonna worry about them and let my mood go down because of them. To make a long story short, 230 Fifth, we will not be returning or giving you business anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment