Friday, February 7, 2014

Date Night: The Rum House - Theater District, Manhattan 2/6/2014

Her Take:  Nicky and I decided to go back to our "thursDATEs" last night; this is something we came up with two semesters ago when we started dating. Since I get out of class around 8:30, we figured why not? So last night after my macroeconomics class, Nicky met me outside of school and we ventured to our chosen destination, The Rum House. We had been thinking about a nice place to go where the music isn't too loud , where we can sit down and have good conversation without being rushed and it isn't just a sports bar with drunk college students and old guys everywhere. Nicky came across this place in the Theater District right in the Edison Hotel just near Times Square. The reviews were great and it seemed like the type of place we were going for! So that was our place for the night. When we walked in we KNEW it was exactly what we were going for, the feel was so "date-night-esque" with dim romantic lighting, vintage atmosphere, cute quaint and round two-top tables for couples to admire each other and the night and nicely suited bartenders. We took two seats at the bar and hung our coats and my heavy bag on the hooks under the bar (YESS I love when bars have those) and we took a look at the drink menu which had a variety of classic drinks along with fancy shmancy ones (not your typical rum and coke and vodka club choices.) I would have liked to try one of each but we let Abel (our super amazing bartender) make us two surprise drinks of his choice. Abel did a GREAT job! He made me a rum based drink with ginger, cinnamon, lemon and lime with a candied ginger on top, I LOVE GINGER!!!! It was like I knew him forever. Nicky got a bourbon based drink with orange and an eggwhite (don't knock it till you try it) which gave the drink scrumptious foam. We obviously had to have a snack while we were there so we first tried the soft pretzel which was AMAZING and then we had popcorn which was a little too salty for me. Pretzel I would definitely have again but popcorn ehhh (unless you really like salt.) Abel decided to make us different drinks for our third round and this time he made me a Hemmingway Daiquiri, which to be honest I couldn't tell ya what was it there I just know it was very refreshing and lemony! and Nicky had another bourbon based drink; we ended up switching (I guess we know who likes bourbon better.) We stayed there all night and we had a great time and a live band played 1920's music while we laughed and chatted and kissed :) It was a perfect night I would go back in a heartbeat! Oh how nice it was to drift into the Roaring Twenties for a night...

His Take: Looking for a more casual romantic bar-date?  Well The Rum House is your choice!  The location is great, right in the Theater District which is walking distance to Times Square.  The Rum House is right in the lobby of the Edison Hotel.  Ariana and I decided to just grab a drink after she got out of class, and I googled some places, and yes sometimes Yelp helps.  We came across The Rum House and were immediately sold on the place.  We walked right in and grabbed two seats at the bar.  The place was moderately crowded and people kept coming and going all night, but we never changed our seats from the bar.  We were served by a bartender named Abel, and I’ll start by saying this, he was easily one of the best bartenders I have ever had.  Ariana and I were not sure what we wanted to drink, even after looking at the cocktail menu.  Which by the way the cocktail menu is littered will classic drinks, most of which I have never tried.  Feeling adventurous Ariana and I asked Abel to surprise us with two drinks.  Abel worked his magic and you could tell this man knew what he was doing.  He whipped me up a bourbon based drink that had a great orange flavor, and he even rubbed the rim of the glass with an orange peel before dropping it into my drink!  Ariana was given a rum based drink that had some ginger and cinnamon in it, and she absolutely loved it!  After our first round, we doubled up on the same drinks because they were delicious.  We thanked Abel and joked with him all night while we stood at the bar.  We ordered some munchies ( OF COURSE!! ) to snack on while we drank.  The warm fresh pretzel was excellent and the bag of popcorn was nice, but rather salty, and goes good with your drinks.
 
The Rum House has a very vintage 20’s “Speakeasy” feel which Ariana and I loved.  Better yet there was even a live band playing, including a cello and a flute player.  The place was dimly lit but was not dark by any means.  The crowd of people ranged from your everyday after work New Yorkers to plenty of folks from out of town.  If you are looking to grab a drink, I 100% endorse going to The Rum House, enjoying a cocktail, kicking back and enjoying the 20’s vibe and having a great time!
 







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment