Friday, June 13, 2014

Date Night: New York Comedy Club - Kips Bay, NY - Wednesday 5/28/2014

Her Take: A long, long time ago, I can still remember how the music used to make me smile... The music being the Times Square ruckus we heard on February 15th. Yes the day after Valentines Day, when we took a walk in Times Square early in the morning. We were stopped by a short stocky young man asking us "do you guys like comedy shows?" Naturally I ignored the poor kid and kept walking, but Nicky stopped and said YES I DO! So we listened to what we had to say and Nicky gave in, well, because he really does like comedy shows. This kid was selling tickets to the New York Comedy Club for $20. It was one ticket per two people and it came with a bunch of vouchers to different bars around the area. It seemed like a pretty good deal so Nicky bought it and said, we're going!
So, FOUR months later, we finally went! (because I reminded Nicky that the ticket expired June 1st and we HAD to go) But I'm glad we did because it was a lot of fun!

So May 28th, we headed out to the New York Comedy Club. It was a beautiful day to go so we took the train to 3rd avenue on the L and walked all the way to 24th street. We stopped in at one of the bars we were given a voucher for, Kipsey's, and to our surprise, it wasn't bar-like at all; it was quite nice in there, and also was a meeting spot for every elderly person in New York.
We sat down and told our waiter we had this voucher and he said something that neither Nicky nor I understood except for the "happy hour" part. So we just ordered a margarita for me and a sangria for Nicky. For food we got 2 sliders each, I got pulled pork sliders and Nicky, burger sliders, a mac&cheese to share, fries to share and I ordered a chipotle cornbread. My margarita tasted like soap, I didn't really like it, but the sangria was pretty good. When the food came out we saw that the sliders were so tiny!! And they didn't even use burger buns, they cut the end off an Italian bread for the top bun, and a slice of italian bread for the bottom bun. Weird? I thought to myself "how many loaves of bread do they go through in order to have top buns for sliders?" They were just alright. The mac and cheese i didn't like at all; it tasted like they just boiled pasta and put cheese right on top to melt while they brought it out to us. The fries were a bit soggy, and the cornbread took forever to arrive!! But when it did, I saw why; they bake it to order, and honestly, it was the best part of the meal, I really liked it!! It was delicious and warm, crunchy on top and moist inside with a slight kick and accompanied by some parsley butter; I could go for some right now!

When we were done, we hung around just reminiscing about when we first met and laughing at inside jokes. When we realized it was 8:20, we decided to start heading over to the comedy club. It was just around the corner and we walked in and checked in with the guy at the podium and then he told us we were really early (the ticket said be there by 8:30) and to go have a drink and come back because their bartender hadn't arrived yet. That's kind of messed up that the bartender wasn't there and they have to give other places money.. oh well! So we went to another bar, Rose Hill tavern, because the guy gave us a voucher for them. It was down the block, we walked in, had a seat at the bar and ordered a Stella each. (it seems Stella Artois is our beer of choice) We continued our reminiscing and we walked back at 9, where a lady showed us to our seats: on the left of the small stage. the room was small! There were about 12 small tables in there! We were required a two drink minimum and there is a waitress who comes around. Nicky got two Coronas and I got two frozen drinks: one pina colada and one strawberry colada. They were ok, definitely not worth $12 each.

The host came out and asked where everyone was from and it turned out we were the only ones from New York! Of course, they sell these tickets in the middle of the street in Times Square, the biggest tourist destination!
He made fun of us for being from Brooklyn, but he did call us the nicest people from Brooklyn ever, so I guess that's pretty sweet? He said that Nicky looks like captain hook and I looked like a prisoner because I was wearing a top with black and white stripes. (I guess sooommeeoone'sss not in the fashion loop!) He picked on us for a little, and I thought it was great! I like when people make fun of me, as strange as that sounds. Most of the comedians were funny, but there were a few who really were not. I laughed a lot and had a great time! A couple of the comedians also picked on us because they basically knew our life story since the host didn't stop talking to us and asking us questions. A nice thing was that one comedian asked how long we were together and when we said a little over a year, he made everyone clap for us :) yay!

The show ended around 11 o'clock and we walked out laughing and glad we went! Comedy shows are fun! I definitely recommend going to one!

His Take: So remember way back when on Valentine's Day when Ariana and I went to Rosa Mexicano? (if not, check that post) well the next day we were in Times Square and if you're not familiar with this, I will be your warning, there is plenty of people standing out there trying to sell you plenty of things, from photos with spiderman to tickets to plays, and most importantly for this time COMEDY SHOW tickets!  I love stand up comedy, and have always thought about going to do an open mic!  Ariana and I were stopped by one gentleman who rambled on and on about the New York Comedy Club and how we should check it out and how we would have a lot of laughs and a really good time.  Partly because I wanted him to stop talking (literally he spoke for 5-10 minutes straight) I agreed to spend the $20 on this $50 offer of admission for two at the New York Comedy Club.  Sweet!  Mind you I had already known that almost every comedy club has a two drink minimum per person, but that's not a problem for Ariana and I (especially her, trust me).  Anywho, here we are in May trying to figure out our next date and Ariana mentioned that we still had these comedy club tickets that we had to use by that coming weekend or they would expire.  Also with the tickets we were given flyers for participating bars that were close by that offered different beer and food specials.

With that being said, we decided to put these tickets to use and head over to the New York Comedy Club on Wednesday night.  The back of the ticket says reservations are required so I called and reserved a table for two.  We decided why not check out one of the participating bars and have a drink or two and some food before the show.  We settled on trying out Kipsey's, which was around the corner from the New York Comedy Club.  We walked in to Kipsey's and it was a pretty nice looking bar, and we were told to have a seat anywhere we chose and a waiter would come help us.  We sat down and thought and thought and thought what we wanted to eat and drink.  I asked the waiter a few questions about the food and the specials that were on the card about the bar.  Finally I settled on the sliders, which were on the card, but it was ONE slider.  One slider does not fill up my big toe, so i ordered two (I know what you're thinking, WOW a whole two of them!).  The slider was just ok, nothing special but it was not terrible.  Ariana ordered the pulled pork sliders, same kind of thing!  To go with those, we split an order of mac and cheese.  We love mac and cheese and Kipsey's was just ehh, it was kind of oily and not cheesy enough for my taste.  We also split an order of french fries, which if you mess up french fries, your place should not be in business.  The fries were fries that's all.  Ariana also wanted to try the corn bread so we ordered that as well.  I tried a little piece and she ate almost all of it, so I guess she really liked it.  For drinks I ordered a red sangria which was pretty good and Ariana a margarita.  I was a little disappointed with the food and the service overall, because the waiter was a little slow and the cornbread came out basically well after everything else did.  We came here to kill some time before the comedy show and grab a bite to eat so I did not expect anything special, and Kipsey's was exactly that, nothing special.  Off we went to the comedy show, but since we were early, we were told to come back, so we headed for a beer around the corner just to sit talk and laugh some more!

Finally comedy show time!  I can't lie, I was excited for the comedy show.  We were seated at a little table off to the right of the stage.  I am not sure why the New York Comedy Club required us to make a reservation considering half the place was empty by the time the show started, but I'll cut them some slack considering it was a Wednesday night.  We sat down and the waitress came over and ordered our drinks.  The drink selection was pretty good, but I kept it simple and went with a corona.  two drink minimum each, can't get too crazy ordering all kinds of things!  Ariana had a frozen drink and she seemed to like it.  We were treated to a funny comedy host who went around asking the different tables where every one was from and making jokes about everyone in between.  He was a good host and even if he made plenty of jokes about Ariana and I, well mostly me! As my mom said, I have that kind of "face."  Thanks Mom!  Any who, the show had about 6 or 7 comedians scheduled who performed for different amounts of times.  Most of them were ranged from really funny to "yeah I laughed a few times" and one was pretty boring and bad.  The show lasted about two hours and Ariana and I had met our two drink minimum requirement.  Side note, the drinks here are a little expensive, but then again, this is how the place makes most of their money considering they're selling tickets at discount prices!

All in all, if you like comedy, especially stand up comedy, check out the New York Comedy Club.  Its a cool date spot and hopefully your show is funny and enjoyable!  Here at The Dating Renaissance, we try to tell you about different dates and different places to check out, and that's what the comedy show is, just a different date that you'll enjoy!  You can skip Kipsey's before hand, it's really not worth going to, but hey if you want a quick beer and bite its not the worst place!  I would go back to a different comedy club maybe before heading back to The New York Comedy Club, just to get a different comedy feel, but Ariana and I left here happy, smiling, and laughing.  As we walked back to the train, we recalled plenty of the jokes, especially the jokes said about me (my girlfriend is so kind isn't she!) and laughed like before!






No comments:

Post a Comment