Monday, July 21, 2014

Date Night: The Chester - Meatpacking District, NY - Saturday 6/28/2014

Her Take: I love the Meatpacking District. I have to say that right from the start. It's beautiful and hip and the new fashion spot and so different from the rest of the city. So I go there a lot and I walk around, and one night I went with two of my friends and we passed this cute corner bar/restaurant while walking. What caught our attention was the outdoor patio they have framing the corner of the block and the cool, funky music they were playing. This spot was The Chester, located in the Gansevoort Hotel.

I thought to myself that I had to go to this place! (to write you guys a blog on it :)) So I kept it in the back of my mind and decided to plan out a Date Night. Lee and Dan wanted to go out before Lee left for Florida so I suggested we all do dinner in Meatpacking .. ;)
I picked a couple of places, one of which being The Chester, and left it up to them to decide where they wanted to go. They picked The Chester!! (obviously) It was meant to be, we had to try that place out.
I made the reservation for 4 at 7:00 on a Saturday night and we were all excited. That's when things started to go awry Lee told me that Dan was fixing up his car and didn't think they would be done in time to come meet us, but she would let me know. Hm..
I had to go visit my newborn baby cousin and everyone knows that when you visit family, you're gonna be there till late! So I decided to change our reservation to 7:30 (just incase) Then while at my cousin's house, Lee told me they wouldn't be able to make it so I went ahead and changed the reservation again to 2 people instead and for 8 o'clock because it was already 6 and we were all still there!!
Anyway, turns out I changed the reservation ONE MORE TIME (3 times!!) to 8:15 because at 7:45 I was still on my way home. I rushed home changed and Nicky and I jumped on the train. Luckily, Meatpacking is only 6 stops away on the L and we get there in max 10 mins! And that we did. We walked to the hostess outside and I told her we were here and if there was no available outdoor seating, it was ok. But she was very nice and said that they had reserved a table for us right outside. We took a corner two-top and the night, the view, the place was all perfect. We looked at the drink menu and they has special cocktails for the World Cup which I thought was very cute! We both order caipirihnas ! I love those, but these weren't the best. They were very strong and not sweet enough.
We ordered right away (which is a first) We started with the cheese plate; the cheese plate came so beautifully decorated with cut up apples and plated to be shaped like flowers, that I didn't wanna eat it! Just kidding, I DEFINITELY did. It came with about 4 different cheeses (brie, parmigiano, and I wasn't sure of the other two..), honey, jam, apples and crackers! It was SO good, great starter!
For entrees we both got steaks; Nicky ordered the NY Strip with a side of Truffle Fries and I the Marinated Skirt Steak in mango sauce and on a bed of chorizo. Now normally I'm not crazy about skirt steak because of the after taste, but this steak was GREAT, I couldn't taste any aftertaste, they cooked it perfectly! And the mango sauce was soo good! Only thing is I couldn't really taste the chorizo. Nicky didn't let me try any of his steak so I assume that meant that it was really good!! He said he liked it!

After slowly finishing our dinner, we hung out outside and watched the sunset; it was amazing. We had great conversations and had a wonderful night. We were there for a few hours and the waitress didn't bother us! We ordered another round of drinks and sat there soaking in the scenery, the people, the music and each other. A man walked by and dropped off two roses on the table and said "for the beautiful lady" and walked away, I was flattered until he walked right back and said "1 for $10 2 for $20 for the homeless! LOL At first Nicky was like I don't want it... ok i'll take one!! :) We left happy and satisfied with our meal and we decided to take a walk because it was such a beautiful night, we walked under the highline (must do a highline post) and walked past the stores and bars until we reached the train station. We figured "lets walk to Union Square" because it was that nice of a night! And we did! we walked and finally took the train home to meet up with Nicky's cousins for a few more drinks.. :)

GO TO MEATPACKING!!!! And try The Chester, I promise you, you will love it, not only for the food, but the scenery as well! The restaurant itself is really nicely set up! Plus, you get to dress up a little bit and look great while eating great food and feeling great!
I'll see ya there!

His Take: So Ariana loves, LOVES, the Meat Packing District in NYC!  She has been suggesting that we find a place here to go because she always has a good time in the Meat Packing District.  After looking over some menus, we settled on The Chester.  The Chester is located right underneath the Gansevoort hotel.  We made a reservation for 8:15, to enjoy a nice late dinner and a drink or two.  We dressed really nice, Ariana looked great by the way, and we hopped on the train and headed over!

The Chester is a really nice place!  Since it was a beautiful summer evening, we decided to sit outside rather than inside.  This was the perfect choice, as the weather was absolutely perfect outside!  We sat at a corner table outside just the two of us and got right into the drink menu!  We started with some caipirinhas.  I did not like mine, it was a little too strong (go on call me a whimp, but this drink was wayyyyyy too strong for a dinner drink) and there was not enough sweetener added to it, so it was too sour!  I have had caipirinhas before, and I really enjoy them, they are a good summery drink!  Ariana and I decided to start off with a cheese plate for appetizers.  We did not want to make the mistake this time of ordered too may appetizers and not enjoying our main course.  The cheese plate was displayed beautifully, and it was excellent.  The plate came with three different cheeses, which were all great, I knew one was parmigiano, I was not sure which the other two were, as the menu says it is the "chef's selection."  Not only did the dish come with cheeses, it had crackers as well as apples, blueberries, and raspberries, plus a like dipping jam!  I ate an entire apple along with my cheeses!  On to the entree, Ariana ordered the skirt steak that was marinated in a mango sauce on top of chorizo hash, and I ordered the strip steak with a side of truffle fries for Ariana and I to split!  Ariana enjoyed her steak, and mine was great as well.  The portion was a nice size and the steak and fries were tastey!  After eating Ariana and I decided to order another drink and just hang out and chat.  This time I went with a red sangria which was much much better!  We sat and drank and talked and as we did the sun began to set.  I know I know it sounds really cliche but this added to the mood as the sky is really nice while the sun sets.  A random street peddler came over and put two roses on our table and walked away.  He goes "for the pretty lady" and then a minute later he came back and said " 1 for $5 2 for $10!"  This man knows how to hustle! But he was right, of course I had to get a rose for the pretty lady, so I took one!

The Chester was really busy but they were nice enough to let us take our time with our food and drinks and let Ariana and I sit there without feeling rush or pressured to order more!  The set up was really nice and I suggest you check it out! Be warned, the Chester,and the Meat Packing District as a whole is a little more expensive than your average dinner and drinks in the city!  But it was very well worth it, especially if you had a great time like I did.  After dinner we walked around a bit and continued our great date! We plotted our next move and headed back to our neighborhood to meet some friends for drinks!  What more can you ask for? A great night out in the city, then enjoying afterwards with some friends, this is what date night is all about!  Ariana and I will head back to the Meat Packing district again, so if you are at the Chester after reading this, look out for us!




Handsome Nicky
Caipirinha

Cheese Plate beautiful Presentation
 NY Strip and Truffle Fries
Mango Marinated Skirt Steak


No comments:

Post a Comment