Friday, August 22, 2014

Day Date: Popbar - West Village, NY - Sunday 8/17/2014

His Take:  I was watching the Food Network one day, and what I was watching did what the Food Network always does, MAKE ME HUNGRY.  This time they were showing a place called Pop Bar, which serves different flavors of frozen gelato on a popsicle stick.  MMMMMMMMMMM, I mean who does not like gelato?  Lo and behold, PopBar is in New York!  I immediately looked up the location of Pop Bar (Carmine Street in the West Village) and took a screen shot of the place in my phone so that I would 1) remember to tell Ariana and 2) remember where it is when we were going to go.
 
Here we are, Sunday afternoon after a wonderful Sunday dinner (side note: big thing for us Italians!) I met up with Ariana and we decided we wanted to head out for a bit and enjoy the day.  During the week Ariana had remembered that we still had not gone to Pop Bar, so on Sunday I suggested that we did.  And were off to Pop Bar.
 
I have to say I was a little fooled by the show on the Food Network, I thought the place would be much bigger!  But let me tell you, size does not matter, especially when it comes to Pop Bar.  As we were walking in a family was walking out and the Father saw us peeking in and said “it is delicious, you should definitely get one.”  Walking in staring at the display off all the flavors my eyes were immediately drawn to one, PEANUT BUTTER.  Peanut Butter gelato, I never had it before but it sounds perfect to me, I love peanut butter.  Off to the dipping station, where they can dip your frozen gelato in, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate amongst other things, me I prefer white chocolate to it all, so peanut butter dipped in white chocolate is already two for two in my book.  Now onto the toppings, they have various toppings they will coat your frozen gelato in, mostly nuts, but caramel corn is the one I chose.  Thankfully I did because it was heavenly and my frozen peanut butter gelato, dipped in white chocolate, coated in caramel corn, tasted absolutely amazing.  Just reread that again, my mouth is watering thinking about it.  Ariana got pistachio gelato, dipped in white chocolate, covered with hazelnuts, good yes, but it could not hold a candle to mine!  We sat on the bench right outside and I marveled over how delicious my pop was from Pop Bar.
 
Cannot wait to take another leisurely trip to Pop Bar.  Walk right in pick from one of the many flavors of frozen gelato, but don’t stop there, dip it in something and finish it off with a topping!  Incredibly delicious and who knows maybe next time I will grab two different flavors because pop bar is DELICIOUS!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
 
Her Take: On Sundays I like to go out. Do nice day things, take walks, go to the city and take in the scenery. I like to enjoy the day because on Sundays, we eat dinner at 1:30, so I have the rest of the day free! This Sunday, like every Sunday, Nicky was coming over, but this time he was in the mood to do something so we said POPBAR
We've been wanting to go and never got the chance to, so Sunday was the perfect day, it was beautiful out and what else goes hand in hand with a sunny day better than handcrafted GELATO (on a stick)? So we hopped on the train towards the West Village and we must have gotten out of the perfect stairwell cause Pop bar was just up the block on Carmine Street. 
I was surprised at how tiny this spot is, but then again do they need that much space? No! They have a glass "showcase" of all the different flavors of gelato pops and on the side they have 6 dips, 2 batches of each: dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, and a handful of toppings. I picked pistachio pop dipped in white chocolate and topped with hazel nuts. It was yummy but Nicky's was DEFINITELY yummier! The caramel corn on his peanut butter pop topped it off, I don't know why I didn't get caramel corn, I LOVE CARAMEL CORN! 
But I digress, I do wish Popbar had more toppings that weren't just nuts, I was expecting crazy or diverse toppings! What if I wanted, I don't know, crushed chocolate-covered cone or something weird! They had crushed nuts and chocolate sprinkles, that was it! I think that is the only thing Popbar should update, but other than that, this place is delicious! The gelato is creamy and the taste it on point. Plus when you dip it in chocolate.. MMMM.. so good!!! The size of the pops are just the right amount of gelato, not too little, not too much (is there a such thing as too much gelato??)
I really loved it here, they have 4 little stools to sit at and a bench outside, we sat on the bench, for 3.4 seconds because we inhaled our gelato because it was that good! 
Definitely going back to Popbar soon soon soon! I've been craving it every day since. 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment