Sunday, August 3, 2014

Date Night: Coney Island, NY - Friday 7/25/2014


His Take:  Coney Island, a landmark in Brooklyn, and somewhere, I a native Brooklynite had never been?!?!  That HAD to change.  Along with my cousin Frankie, I had put together a little trip to Coney Island.  Frankie had told me how last summer he had gone with his girlfriend Jennifer and some friends to see the fireworks display Coney Island does every Friday night. We were talking about this during a car ride home, and voila, plans were born!  We decided all of us guys would take our girlfriends to Coney Island for a nice night watching fireworks on the beach, eating Nathan’s, and riding rides. 

Back to me being a Brooklynite for a second, how could I not go see the Wonder Wheel, eat a Nathan’s hot dog at Coney Island, and most importantly ride the Cyclone!  This was my opportunity to get this off my bucket list!  So off we went to Coney Island on a Friday night.  We parked in the Aquarium parking lot, which is right next to the Cyclone.  I was as excited as a kid in a candy store.  I wanted to go on the Cyclone right away!  I was told to wait by my buddy Chris, who promised me we would go on later, on the way out since it’s right next to the car (wow I sound like a little kid, but hey, I wanted to ride the Cyclone!).  First stop for us, you guessed it, Nathan’s.  I was not to hungry and neither was Ariana, so I got a hot dog, we split cheese fries (of course she ate most of them) and then we walked to get a quick ice cream.  A lot of places to eat and drink on the boardwalk, all serving different boardwalk food, you know pretzels, hot dogs, ice creams, funnel cakes, the works!  I am actually glad we ate first because the line at Nathan’s was huge all night. 

After we all finally met up at Nathan’s and ate a little something, we realized it was time to hit the beach for the fireworks.  Coney Island’s firework “show” starts at 9:30 PM between 10th and 12th streets.  The beach between 10th and 12th streets is closed because the fireworks are literally on the beach.  We all sat in the sand, there was about 14 of us hanging out laughing and joking waiting for the display to start.  Do not make the same mistake we did, come prepared to sit in the sand, unless you want to stand on the boardwalk and watch the show.  I was shocked to see how packed the beach and the boardwalk was, filled with people waiting around to watch the firework show.  Sitting in the sand was a bit uncomfortable, I really should have gotten the chairs I had in my friend’s car.  Finally the show started at around 9:50, and it was really nice.  It was romantic to sit in the sand with my girlfriend and watch the display of fireworks.  The weather was perfect for a night near the ocean.  We asked Jennifer to take a picture of us under the fireworks because we know our loyal readers would want to see!  Plus I wanted one for ourselves!  Thanks Jenn!

After the fireworks we hit the rides!  I enjoy doing rides, but you all know the one ride I was waiting to do, THE CYCLONE!  The rides I did/watched my friends do all seemed cool.  First ride we hit was the Wonder Wheel.  Ferris Wheels, my most HATED ride.  Little tidbit about me, I am afraid of heights.  How do I do rides you ask? Roller coasters, on the way up I hold on for dear life and my eyes are closed shut, the way up is over so fast it does not even matter!  After much debate, Ariana, friend Sal, and my cousin Frankie convinced me to get on the Wonder Wheel.  Fun fact about the Wonder Wheel, it has something called sliding carts, which I had never seen before.  The freaking cars slide back and forth on a track at different heights of the wheel.  Great so not only do I have to sit in a box sky high, but I have to watch it swing back and forth!  As you’ll see in the picture, I was not to thrilled with this, but after going around the first time and not plummeting to my doom, I relaxed a bit and enjoyed myself, and maybe just maybe I’ll get on again.  My brother is fearless, got on the sling shot, so did a few of my other friends, and no thanks, that’s not for me.  We walked around a bit and by 12:45 everyone started getting tired and wanting to head home, plus the park closes at one.  Wait I know what you’re thinking, the Cyclone right? My Cyclone story is this, WE NEVER WENT ON! My sole purpose for going, the one thing I really wanted to do, right there in front of me, and IT DID NOT HAPPEN! 

I won’t say I left disappointed because I had a great time with my girlfriend and friends, but I left unsatisfied, I have an unfinished date with Coney Island, and me and the Cyclone will meet!  Coney Island is a great date spot, especially if you are going to see the fireworks.  Grab a chair or a towel and sit on the beach, a better view then standing on the boardwalk.  Grab your girl, grab some friends, and go watch the show.  A fun filled date at Coney Island.  Lastly, I will make you guys a deal, if you see me at Coney Island and recognize me from this blog, stop me and I’ll get on the damned Wonder Wheel with ya!  Till we meet again Coney Island! See ya soon.


Her Take: We have been wanting to go to Coney Island for some time now. Frankie, Nicky's cousin, told us that every Friday night, there's Fireworks. Finally we went. It was a bunch of us: Nicky and I, Chris and Martyna, Frankie and Jen, AJ and Bianca, and Sal and Rangel. (best couple) We headed over at around 7, made it there by 7:30-8 and basically stood on the Nathan's line for an hour! Nicky wanted a hot dog and so did the Chris, Martyna and her friends. I didn't want anything, so obviously I got cheese fries and a cafe mocha ice cream! :) I wasn't hungry...
By the time everyone ordered, ate and drank, it was around 9 o'clock so we said lets head down to the beach to get a good spot.
Coney Island was PACKED, with so many kids too, BABIES why aren't they sleeping?! But I understand it's nice to see the fireworks. Back to the beach, Nicky had bought two chairs for us, and those chairs were left in the car, a good place to have them when you're sitting on the sand! But it's ok, I sucked it up and sat down. We had our personal photographer, Jen, take pictures of us because shes the best! Plus she likes to so yay :) She took some great shots of us I must say!
The fireworks started like 20 minutes late! But they lasted about 15 mins and they were really pretty! We were so close, that many of us got hit with pieces of them. Cool life.
After watching the fireworks and being romantic taking photos under them, we decided to walk the boardwalk and go on some rides!
First things first: The Wonder Wheel! Built in 1918 and still goin' round!
Nicky is SUPER scared of heights and did not want to go on this at all, especially after he found out that the cars swing! BUTTTT we got him on :))) it wasn't that hard muahah! But he sat in the cart with his eyes closed grasping to the sides. What a baby!
It was a lot of fun and also REALLY cold up there, I was literally shivering. If you go, bring a light sweater!
Nicky even said he liked it so it went well!

After that we walked around some more and the rest of them went on a few more rides, I wasn't in the mood for rides that day, I might have been super tired. But it's all good because I had a great time!
We stayed until the park closed, 1 am. Longer than I expected!! Nicky didn't get to ride the cyclone, which is what he realllllyyyy wanted to do!

Coney Island is just a spot that everyone needs to visit at least once! This was Nicky's first time and he loved it. I'm glad he did! It's always a great time, and me, I love games and rides and ice cream and feeling like a kid again! Who doesn't? Get to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone before they take that old piece of history down!

I definitely want to go back, maybe in the daytime this time, so I can catch a tan while we walk ;) AND go on some rides!




 On the Wonder Wheel


 Nicky crying on the Wonder Wheel
 Jen and Frankie in the Front

No comments:

Post a Comment